Saturday 3 December 2016

3 Steps to UK Overseas Nurse registration process.



Opportunities abound for Nigerian nurses to take advantage of to migrate to the United Kingdom, however most Nigeria nurses are most often laid back on the issue of migration, as they always expect some family member or friend to come “take them” out of the country.
The truth is that opportunities abound for nurses to migrate to different parts of the developed world than any other profession. The Asians have grabbed the opportunities with both hands and I would like to see more serious minded African  nurses do same.

The first step towards registering in the UK is to sit for the IELTS English test which can be taken in Nigeria and make at least 7 in the four testing bands.

Also, combining results not less than six months is now accepted. The test is nothing technical as it only assesses your ability to communicate in English. As English is our official language and Nigerians are taught from Nursery to University in English, this should not be a problem.  

Below is a copy of an IELTS certificate.



In the second step, one would be required to sit a computer based test (CBT), which assess general nursing knowledge in addition to laws and policies that guide healthcare delivery in the UK. This test is also not difficult and can be taken in various Pearson Vue centers in different countries. More information  about the test can be seen here

Lastly, having successfully taken the computer based test, the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) which is practical examination can only be taken within the UK. Home office regulations state that applicants may apply for either work visa or visitors visa to travel to the UK to sit  for this exam. However, I would advice that people get sponsorships from hospitals and not hospices, because they will gain the experience they need to successfully take the final test in a hospital setting.

For more information about taking the OSCE click here

Anyone who has successfully completed the CBT and would like a sponsor may drop me a mail.

So to all you hard working  African nurses, it’s time to plant your feet firmly on the ground and grab this opportunity with both hands. I know most people may say they don’t like UK, but the truth is that it’s a whole lot better when compared to practicing anywhere in Africa as the UK has one of the most advanced health care delivery systems in the world. 

All the best!

Drop your questions in the comment box.

21 comments:

  1. Please, How much does the examination cost in Nigeria?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please, How much does the examination cost in Nigeria?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The CBT is £130 pounds while the OSEC is £992.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the informations . I will start making plans to move to the UK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ajayi Oluwasanmi3 March 2018 at 12:46

    Pls I need ur email or u can text me on mail to have ur email. Donoluwasanmi@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can drop your comments here and I will respond ASAP.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this write up. you said its better to have hospital experience and not a nursing home before one can pass the osce. i will like to ask how to get sponsorship from hospitals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can help you with that, contact me when you have the required IELTS and CBT.

      Delete
  8. Good day ma, I am a Nigerian but have my B.Nsc in International University, Bamenda, Cameroon. Will I follow same process? or how do i go about it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have CBT and ielts, I need sponsorship from hospital... Here is my email cenciacharles009@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      I'm sorry i've been away a long while. Are you still interested?

      Delete
  10. What are the features of the sponsorship letter,who is eligible to give it? Must it be from my employer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it must be from an employer and there are thousands who are willing to give if you meet the requirement.

      Delete
  11. Hello. Please, could you contact me on the email yemiecom@yahoo.com. I am processing this visa at the moment and I am kind of stuck. Will appreciate your support.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, my fiance have ielt and cbt she need a sponsor from hospital. Here is my email. Ajibadebanji01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please email me on femlads@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. chidinmapresige123@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the information. Can one still go ahead with a 6.5 IELTS score?

    ReplyDelete